Mr D Stones – Business Studies Teacher
Mr A Curran – Lead Teacher of Computing
Current Year 11 AQA GCSE Business(A*-G). To find out more click here AQA GCSE Business 1-9
Current Year 10 AQA GCSE Business(1-9). To find out more click here AQA GCSE Business 1-9
Introduction to BTEC FIRST Business. During this year students will take part in various activities and lesson tasks to give them an accurate insight into Business and Enterprise. This introductory course will aim to enable students to learn about:
- business management
This is an introductory course will lead towards students having the opportunity to study a BTEC FIRST in Business in Years 10 and 11 staring in September 2018. Students will then be able to access and study units including: ·
- Unit 1: Enterprise and the Business Environment ·
- Unit 2: Finance for Business
- Unit 3: Promoting a Brand
- Unit 8: Recruitment, Selection and Employment
GCSE Business Studies introduction. Both GCSE specifications encourage students to:
- Actively engage in the study of business and economics to develop as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements.
- Develop and apply their knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts.
- Appreciate the range of perspectives of different stakeholders in relation to business and economic activities.
- Consider the extent to which business and economic activity can be ethical and sustainable.
|Year 10 (new specification, current Year 10)||Year 10 (old specification)|
|Students work through 3 units that provide them with a clear and develop understanding of the roles, purposes and impact of businesses on them and the wider community and society.||Students work through an overall unit that focuses on setting up a new business. It provides them with an understanding of the role of small business, failures, stakeholders, and their activities (such as marketing).|
|Focus units:||Focus unit:|
|Business in the Real World (3.1)||Unit 1 – Setting Up a Business (External Exam – Year 11)|
|Influences on Business (3.2)|
|Business Operations (3.3)|
|Year 11 (new specification, current Year 10||Year 11 (old specification)|
|Students work through 3 units that provide them with a clear and develop understanding of the work, activities and purposes of large businesses that make up our economy and also affects international trade.||Students work through 2 overall units that focus on both developing their knowledge of the roles, operations and activities of business in a business report and then in a national and international setting.|
|Focus units:||Focus units:|
|Human Resources (3.4)||Unit 2 – Growing a Business (External Examination – Year 11)|
|Marketing (3.5)||Unit 3 – Investigating Business (Controlled Assessment- Year 11)|
Students will sit two exam papers at the end of the course (Year 11) which form the overall assessment.
Paper 1; Influences of operations and HRM on business activity (50%)
Paper 2: Influences of marketing and finance on business activity (50%)
Students will sit two exam papers at the end of the course (Year 11) and submit a Controlled Assessment which form the overall assessment.
Paper 1; Setting up a business (40%) ·
Paper 2; Growing a business (35%) ·
Paper 3; Investigating business CA (25%)
- Business Department Workshops, every Wednesday (Year 10) and Friday (Year 11)
- Revision and skill development workshops after school and during half terms (details will be sent out to parents nearer to relevant dates and times)
- Enterprise Activities – ranging from Internal College activities to Mosaic Challenge and Young Enterprise
- Planned Excursions and Incursions with local businesses to provide students with practical insights into how they operate
Useful Links & Resources
Tutor2u GCSE Business studies revision notes and quizzes
Business Bee useful for finance revision notes and quizzes
S-Cool GCSE Business Studies revision notes and videos
Gojimo revision quizzes for AQA Business can be downloaded as an app
Business Studies GCSEPOD – available via RM Unify with login
Youtube Cherwell Online How to answer 9 mark exam questions